Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ugggg Teenagers

My daughter is getting ready to turn into a teenager. She is twelve but will be an official teenager in about 5 1/2 months. I am dreading this. Last week she told me that she has a boyfriend. Gray hairs started sprouting on my head the moment she said this. She spent all weekend texting him. As a sneaky mom I looked at her phone when she fell asleep to see what kind of things were being said (or in this case...what was being texted). All of it was fine. Just a lot of "can't wait til Monday so we can see each other again", "I love your smile", and "who is your best boyfriend...you are sweety". But it was enough to give me a minor heart attack. I know this is normal. This is the kind of things that I used to say/do when I was her age but I don't want her to do this stuff. When I look at her sometimes I still see the silly little girl that wanted me to make her hair special by putting in three pigtails instead of just two like other girls or the little girl that would dance around the house on her tiptoes singing songs she just made up or my favorite the little girl that couldn't say her l's but didn't that didn't stop her from giving me a great big bear hug every night and telling me that she wuvs me. I miss that little girl. Now I have the preteen girl that always wants her friends to spend the night, has cheerleading practices and games and the drama that goes along with it, and wants to be dropped off early for school so she can spend some time with her boyfriend.

1 comment:

Ms. A said...

I feel your pain. Maybe we should commiserate together. Someone told me that developmentally 13 year olds are like 2 year olds....I think I get that. :) Ms. A.