Wednesday, October 26, 2011

People Watching...edited version

People Watching
I arrive at school early today. I sit in the atrium and decide to kill time by people watching. A guy walks into the atrium, catching my attention. He walks in with his head down and a little hunched over due to the overloaded backpack on his back. I cannot see his face. He scans the room searching for the perfect table. He picks the most secluded table in the room. He sits at his table, like a loner; no one near him. He starts digging in his backpack and unpacks his stuff. His digs out his laptop and sets it out on the table although he doesn’t pay attention to it yet. He sets out his book, a notebook, pencil, and highlighter and lays everything out on the table in an orderly way. He lines up the pencil and highlighter neatly beside the notebook which he has already lined up perfectly beside the keyboard of his laptop. He yawns and stretches and leans back in his chair with his feet extended out in front of him, crosses them at the ankle, and then puts his hands behind his head and surveys the room. Like a quiet observer he turns his head side to side, surveying the room.  Again he doesn't look directly at me so I still cannot see his face. A few minutes later a woman walks over to him and sits down beside him at the table. They scoot their chairs beside each other and hold hands. She rests her head on his shoulder. A group of guys walk up to them. Suddenly he becomes the group’s comedian. He stands up; waving his arms as he talks to the group. They are all laughing at him. I can see part of a tattoo on his left bicep as he lifts his arm. Curiosity gets the better of me and I crane my neck trying to see the art work hidden by part of his shirt sleeve.  Left unsatisfied; the artwork stays a mystery to me. A few minutes later the woman and the guys leave. He sits back down at the table and puts his head down. He appears to be tired. I sit and watch him and the others in the room for a little while longer. I think he may have fallen asleep. Suddenly his cell phone starts vibrating on the table. He jumps up and starts tossing things back into his backpack. Because of the reckless way he tosses things in his back pack it becomes evident that he feels rushed. As he quickly leaves the room he pauses at a couple of tables to say a few quick words to people. He moves from table to a table much like a social butterfly. As he heads off to his new destination his path has him walking right past my table. I look up at him now that I can finally see the front of his body. He has on a gray t-shirt with OTC written across his chest, his blue fuzzy house shoes, and his hair sticking up in all different directions. It makes me wonder if he got dressed this morning or did he wear that to bed last night and when his alarm went off this morning he just got up and came to school without bothering to change or to comb his hair.  As he walks closer I pray that my mouth does not fall open in shock because surely my eyes have deceived me. He has a pair of small round framed glasses perched upon his unusually large beak like nose although the source of my bewilderment has nothing to do with the size of his nose. Flabbergasted I stare at him with my mouth agape as he walks right past my table. The guy has a lot of make up on! I have never seen a guy with that much eyeliner, eye shadow, and bright pink lipstick on before. Disgusted with that image I have decided that I have had enough people watching for the day. I head off to my class trying to think of something else, anything, to remove that image from my mind. 

No comments: