Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blogging Reflection

My blogging success and challenges…How do I begin? Let’s do bad new first. I didn’t really care for this assignment. I mean I did like the blogging part but I thought it was a little too much. I think what saved me is the writing we did in class every day. I work 45 hours a week, I go to school, I have to take my kids to school and pick them up every day, when I get home I have to cook dinner, clean, help kids with their homework, and try to do my homework. This doesn’t include football games and martial art classes the kids also attend. Just to try to squeeze in a few more minutes in an already packed day I had to drop my self-defense class. I hated doing that because that class is the one thing that I do for fun for myself. It’s my outlet, my stress release. But since we had class time to blog, almost at least one blog every day, I think I did okay.
I really think my biggest challenge (besides my hectic schedule) really was that most of the writing I do I do on paper. I write almost daily about some part of my day, a dream I had, a thought that I had, or a story I have just made up. I have gone through many notebooks where I just jot down thoughts, feelings, and little stories I felt the need to express. I am working on this. I am trying to do more things on the computer but it is hard. I like the feeling of the pencil in my hand and the soft scraping sound the pencil makes as it glides over the paper. I am amazed how quickly a blank lined paper can be filled with words that can tell a story. Also it is so much easier to carry a scrap piece of paper and a pencil vs. a computer.  This has by far been my biggest challenge with this assignment. However I am working on it. I cannot just use the computer because sometimes a thought comes and you have to write no matter where you are so I am working on converting some of my paper writings to the computer. Doing this is a good thing because as I type my paper writing I am able to add to it and expand a little on some things.
Good news…for the most part I liked the blogging. Maybe not every day…but I did like doing it. It has been a nice way for me to write some thoughts down. I tried very hard to not make it a gripe session about work, which would have been very easy to do. I really liked doing some of the blogs. Some I wrote down, not giving them much thought, and then read them later and got a good laugh from them.  My husband read some of them and laughed. We had a good evening one night thinking back on all the things we said as teenagers since that was one of my blogs.
Did I discover anything and if yes what was it and what did I like/dislike about it. I discovered that I can be a very good writer, with only a little effort, when it comes to writing something I enjoy. The blog about Bridget talking and the blog about the slip-n-slide I thought I wrote very well. The opposite holds true if I’m writing about something that I don’t enjoy. A few of the blogs from class are good examples. I’m vague in the description and details; you can just tell overall if it’s a topic that I don’t care for much.
 I don’t think that I have changed any as a writer because of this assignment. I am a “blogger” in my own way all the time. I don’t usually blog on the computer/internet but I do a lot of journaling on my own. Because of my schedule I don’t do it every day but I do write.  However, I do think that I have changed some as a person. I am a little less scared to write and have people read my writing. I’m not saying I am completely okay with people reading my writing but I am a little more comfortable. I know I would still have a panic attack if I had to read my writing in class but at the beginning of class I was petrified about people reading any of my writing but now I would say I’m only scared. So I know that I have grown some.
Overall I did like this assignment. I am going to try to continue with this blog and try to post more of my writings on it. I love to write when I have time. Even though most of my writing/journaling I do on paper I am going to try to do more of it online.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodi - You should be pleased with what you have accomplished here on this blog. Your work is thoughtful and good. I hope you keep writing. Your blog has been a pleasure to read. ~Ms. A.