Thursday, October 6, 2011

Preteens

          Tonight my daughter had her best friend over at the house. I got to leave work early so I thought it would be okay for her to come over for a few hours until after dinner. The girls were so funny. As I stood in the kitchen cooking dinner and baking a cake I over hear the girls talking outside the kitchen window. (it's not cool to hang out in the kitchen with mom) All I kept hearing was "I know, right?", "Dude","She said what", and endless giggling . I couldn't help but laugh to myself as I heard all this. I couldn't believe what they were saying and how they were saying it. They sounded so silly. Then I started thinking back to when I was younger. Surely I didn't sound that silly. But I guess I did. I can't help but laugh out loud at the things we said back then. "Gag me with a spoon", "Dude", "Totally Awesome", "Psych", "Take a Chill Pill", and "In Your Dreams". If I even tried to tell my children about the things we used to say they would be rolling all over the floor laughing at me.
          I remember laughing at my mom. I told her that I was "going out" with a boy one time and she said oh, okay where are you going? I remember trying for ever to explain to her what it meant but she just had a confused look on her face the entire time. Finally, I said we were dating. You could see the light bulb come one. She said "Oh, I get it. You two are going steady!" I rolled my eyes, shook my head, and bluntly told her that NO one says "steady" anymore.
         I really hope that as my children grow up the old becomes the new new and they will speak the same language that I did when I was younger and then maybe I will understand them when they do talk to me.

No comments: