Monday, October 17, 2011

Decribe A Perfect Weekend

In my perfect weekend the laundy does itself. The house magically get cleaned. My kitchen is magically stocked with enough groceries to last my family another week. I have no homework in my classes. My employees and my boss have forgotten my cell phone number. My daughter is not dating a boy and spending all her free time texting him. My son and daughter get along (reads NO FIGHTING or ARGUING)

I wake up in the morning completely rested and not dreading all the errands and chores that lay ahead. I get to spend the weekend with my children.

We drive down to Galena and rent a cabin. The cabin has no tv, radio, cell phones, ds, ipods....nothing. However it comes fully stocked with board games. We rent a canoe and go floating. We are gone all day. Soaking up the sun, swimming, and floating down the river. After a nice long relaxing day on the river we head back to the cabin. The kids sit around reading a book or outside exploring the woods behind the cabin. I am inside cooking dinner for the family. My husband is helping me in the kitchen (you did say a perfect weekend). After dinner we sit around the table as a family playing board games.

Another perfect weekend would be the four of us just hanging around the house doing the same things. Like yesterday we went to the pumpkin patch and let the kids pick out their own pumpkins. Then we went home and this year we decided the kids were old enough to carve their own pumpkins (with only a little help). We bought the little tools they sell at WalMart for carving pumpkins. The kids picked out their favorite design, taped it to the pumpkin, and started cutting it out. The pumpkins were amazing. After carving the pumpkins we roasted the pumpkin seeds. The kids thought that was really cool especially because they pulled the seeds out of the pumpkins themselves. We watched a movie together as a family and then when it got dark we lit the candle in the jack-o-lanterns and sat outside looking at them.

Another perfect weekend would be a family barbeque. I love it when my parents, my sister and her family, my brother and his family, my grandma, my cousin all come over to my house. We hang out in the backyard playing games, eating good mouthwatering food, sipping on ice tea, and just talking and joking back and forth. Many weekends have been spent like this. I love them. We set up the horseshoes and ring toss and in the summer we have the pool and slip-n-slide set up. Just a warning to those that don't know this. Slip-n-slides have an age limit! An adult's body is not made to go running across the hard ground only to belly flop on a paper thin piece of plastic. You will get hurt. You will bruise your ribs. It will take a couple of weeks to heal. You will have trouble laughing, breathing, and doing anything that involves movement. Great pain is involved. However....it is a ton of fun. There is nothing like standing at the end of the yard waiting your turn and then taking off, running at full speed. As soon as you get to the plastic you throw yourself onto the paper thin plastic laying on the ground stomach first (picture a belly flop in the pool without the splash). During the few seconds it takes your body to slip down the plastic you can feel the cool mist of the water on your back. When you reach the end of the slip-n-slide you are laying in an inch of water that has collected at the end of the slid. You stand up breathless and look around smiling. As much pain as I can promise you will be in I can also tell you that it is also fun. While the pain will outlast the fun to me it is worth it in the long run.

No comments: