Sunday, October 9, 2011

An eventful weekend

This weekend has been a long weekend. Saturday morning I was up by 6am. Apple Butter Makin' Days in Mt. Vernon was calling me name. I took a quick shower, got dressed and put my make-up on. Then it was time to get the kids up and ready to go. On my way out of town I had to stop at my daughter's friend's house to pick her up. Then I had to drive out to Halltown to pick up my mom, sister, and her two kids. Finally 8:45am and I am in Mt. Vernon. I had enough time to look at a couple of rows of craft booths before the parade started. The kids enjoyed it. Bridget (my twelve year old daughter), her best friend, Zach (my eight year old son), and Clayton (my twelve year old newphew) all stayed at the front of the line for the next hour and fifteen minutes picking up candy that the parade participants threw to the spectators. The parade was fun. There were marching bands from all over, old cars, clowns, politicans, church groups, girl scouts, and boy scouts all there in the parade. After the parade we all started walking all around the square looking at the craft booths that were set up. I saw a few things that I would like to make myself and I saw a few things that I thought anyone could make those. At noon we all bought some amazing food and sat on the courthouse lawn to eat our lunch. The weather was perfect for this kind of activity. I finally left Mt. Veron at 2:30pm.
     I headed over to my parents' house to hang with the family for a little bit before heading out to the Vernona Corn Maze. When it got close to dark we headed out. My son gets scared easily so I had planned to go before it was dark but he said that if the people only jumped out and screamed he thought he could handle it ~ as long as they didn't touch him he said it wouldn't be to scary. How wrong he was! So we gave it a try. I walked through the entire corn maze with my eight year old clinging to my shirt, one arm wrapped around his shaking body, and one hand covering his eyes. It was funny. Instead of scaring us all the employees kept asking me if he was okay. Our group consisted of fourteen family members and my daughter's friend. The men in my family love to try to scare the women and children. So throughout the maze they took turns walking away from the group to only catch back up with us and scare us. My daughter's friend was scared easily because she didn't know to expect the men to keep doing that so finally at one point, after just being scared by another family member, she shouted "What is wrong with your family". All of us stopped and laughed. It was so funny. No one even had an explaination for her. At least her friend was a good sport about all of it. We finally got home around 10pm.
          Sunday was no better. I got to sleep in until 8am but as soon as I got up it was time to run to Wal-Mart to get the grocery shopping for my family for the week. Wal-Mart had very few lines open at 10am and the few lines they did have open was manned by sssssllllloooooowwwwww cashiers. I get home just in time to quickly put away the groceries. I still had to print iron on transfers to attach to two t-shirts for a birthday party we had to be at at noon. I got them done and we left the house twenty minutes after the party started. The party was for a friends little boy who was turning two. The little boy is adorable. He has white blonde hair and blue eyes. But don't let his looks fool you. He is an onery but in a kind hearted way. He has very nice manners and is very lovey but the boy just never sits still. No one can say the party didn't go out without a bang. One of the adult guest had left his very nice cell phone sitting on his chair when he got up to talk to someone. The birthday boy saw it and ran over to grab it. He picked it up and started running as fast as his little legs would move. My son and I saw him. Zach ran after him to try to catch him before he did something he shouldn't have but my son was a second to late. The minute the little boy thought he was about to get caught he decided to get rid of the evidence. He chuck the phone into the fire pit as hard as he could. I jumped up and ran over shouting there is a phone in the fire. Someone else close by grabbed a piece of wood and tried to scoot the phone to the edge of the fire. I picked up the phone and sat it on the ground. Someone told the owner of the phone that his phone was in the fire. He thought they were joking until he looked over and saw all us bend over starring at something on the ground. He walked over and yelled, "My phone!" Now he realized we were not joking. I'm not sure who cried first...the owner of the phone or the birthday boy's mom when she realized her son is the one who threw it in the fire.
          When I got home the kids and I decorated the house for Halloween and picked out our Halloween costumes.
          Now all is done and I'm taking a break before making dinner, cleaning the kitchen back up, and getting homework done. Sometimes it seems like my weekends are busier than the weekdays but I love it and wouldn't change it for anything.

1 comment:

Ms. A said...

Sounds like a very full and fun weekend. Great post. ~Ms. A.