Saturday, September 3, 2011

Jung Typology

ISFJ: 100% Introverted, 75% Sensing, 62% Feeling, and 56% Judging
When I first looked ahead at the assignment I thought it was just a bunch of make-believe stuff. I mean honestly there are only sixteen different types. How can a test really divide all the people into just sixteen groups and be accurate? I was sure this was a big waste of time. Boy was I in for a surprise awakening!  
In class I quickly went through the test. I mean I did read all the questions and answered them honestly but since I thought this was a waste of time I really didn’t think much about the questions. I was on autopilot, answering away. In a way, I guess that was a good thing. If I had really thought about each question individually I probably wouldn’t have been as honest with some of my answers. When the test was complete I didn’t really even read the results. I just skimmed through them and looked to see if any famous people I knew had the same typology. According to the paper Jane Fonda, Louisa May Alcott, and Queen Mary I of England had the same typology as me. That caught me off guard.  What could I have in common with an actress, a writer, and a Queen?  Don’t get me wrong I think that they are all really great women but I really don’t know what we could have in common.
Sorry I drifted off from my original train of thought...the test results. After class I went home and printed the results for the ISFJ types. The paper said that my types “reenergize through spending time on their own.” I thought yep that is me. Any time I can get some quiet time to do whatever it is I want to do is relaxing and distressing for me. It also said that I would be hesitant to change especially if something is working the way it is. Again so true, the old sayings “If it’s not broken then don’t fix it” is one of my all time favorite quotes. I have used that quote many, many times myself.
With regards to my writing the paper said that I would be hesitant towards new writing processes, unwilling to let other people read my writings, and will avoid using technology to compose my documents. This is more accurate than I could possibly imagine. During the first day of class I realized all my fears were about to come true and this was going to be a very difficult class for me. During that first day class I was told that we would be using the computer for all of our writing. I cringed inside. No using pencil and paper, how was I going to manage this? Classmates would be reading our writing? I went home and talked to my husband.  I told him that I thought I needed to transfer to a different class. I can’t have anyone but the teacher reading my writing. This class is going to be torture. I won’t be able to survive the whole semester. He told me that I couldn’t transfer classes or drop the class altogether, that I needed to try something new, and besides how do you know you won’t like something until you try it. I laughed said he was full of it but decided to try to tough it out. I’m still unsure of all of this but I will wait and see.  At the end of the semester I will post again and tell everyone what I have thought of the class. Hopefully, I will be saying that this class brightened by horizons and made me a better writer. 
The part that touched me the most from the results was things the paper said regarding my job and my personal life. These results couldn’t have been any farther from the truth. They hit the nail on the head. Thanks to this assignment I will be trying some of the things it said I should do in my job and personal life and we will see what happens.  I don’t like some of the ideas it offered but since it has been right so far I figured what have I got to lose. Worse case they don’t work and I’m in the same situation best case they work and I will begin to feel less stress and more appreciated.
After reading the paper explaining the ISFJ typology and reflecting on my life I was unexpectedly surprised to find out how accurate it was. I guess I did learn something in class that day. Not all the assignments the teacher assigns you are a waste of your time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodi - This is excellent reflective writing. Be fearless this semester. Use me as your safety net - let me know how things are going. I know you can do this. ~Ms. A.