Thursday, September 1, 2011

Adrenaline


Tonight I had my self-defense class. This is the one thing that I do for myself that I truly enjoy more than anything. If I could pick a hat to wear more often it is this one…a student in my self-defense class. This is my only stress reliever.

If you are having a bad day and the instructor tells you to punch the bag repeatedly for a minute with your right fist then switch and punch with your left fist for a minute it is like magic. You can feel the stress pouring out of your body with each punch. As you punch and breathe in and out the only thing you are focused on is the bag. The entire world just disappears. When you hear him say “thirty seconds left” you start punching harder and harder. When you hear him counting down from five you really start punching that bag with all your might. By the time your two minutes are finished you are feeling so much better. Now it is time to move on to your legs. You keep kicking and kicking. As you kick you think back through the day start thinking on all your stressors for the day. That bag becomes your stressor. You focus on that bag and kick that bag like it is holding all your problems wrapped up in the red plastic. Finally the self-defense starts. This is my second favorite part of the class. In the class we learn how to defend ourselves in many different situations. Again a great stress reliever as well as a wonderful learning experience. Now I only have to wait seven more days to do this all over again.

No comments: