Friday, September 16, 2011

A Diaper

How fitting I picked a diaper to write about. I work at a daycare center. I changed diapers everyday so to me this is kind of ironic that a  disposable diaper is what I happened to pick. To my relief the diaper is unused. That is always a good sign and so different from what I experience everyday. The diaper is white with blue and green circles on it. Some of the circles are big and some are little. There doesn't seem to be a pattern on the design. The shapes just appear to be random. The diaper closes with velcro. Diapers have come a long way. Diapers used to be cloth and you used to have to fasten them with safety pins. Can you imagine how hard it would be to try to fasten a couple of safety pins, without poking the child, on a child that is squirmy? These diapers are so much easier to fasten. No matter how much the child moves all you have to do is grab one side of the velcro and quickly touch it to the other half. No more holding children down and poking your finger and the child with a sharp pointy object. Down side to these dispoable diapers...the waste they produce. Landfills are filling up every day with these things. They don't break down fast so they continue to accumulate. Because of this I actually gave cloth diapers a slight thought when my daughter was born. Upside to disposable diapers...when the mess is bad, and I mean real bad, parents you know what I mean, all you have to do is toss those things in the trash. Cloth diapers you have to rinse out in the toilet and then wash them. GROSS!!! I would not want those washed in my washing machine where in the next load I have to wash my kitchen towels. That is why I went with disposable diapers when my daughter was born. Cleaning cloth diapers was not for me. However, there is a parent at my daycare that uses them. She says that she likes them a lot better than disposable diapers. However I have noticed that when her child is real sick she converts to dispoable diapers. I asked her why and was not surprised by her answer. She didn't want to wash them. LOL

No comments: