Sunday, January 8, 2012

Tied Dyed Pancakes

Ever since my children were little I have done fun things with food coloring. When they were little it used to amaze them with my ability to make cakes and pancakes of all different colors. I would have them tell me a color that they liked and then I would make a double layered round white cake except for the cake wouldn't be white. I would add food coloring to the batter to make each layer the color of their choice. The kids would be excited to eat the cake after dinner because they picked the color. It took them a few years to figure out how I was doing this. They used to believe Mommy was magical and could turn cakes into all kinds of colors. There were many times when we ate cake where one layer was purple another orange and the frosting was green.


On Sundays when I have time I make tied dyed pancakes. I put a few drops of food coloring in a small bowl with the pancake batter and I swirl the food coloring around causing a tied dyed look. My kids love these pancakes! In their words..."No one makes pancakes like my mom." I love making these. The first time my son's best friend spent the night I made these pancakes. His mom called me the next day to ask me how I made the pancakes they ate that morning. Her son couldn't stop talking about them. Yesterday he spent the night again. This morning as I was making the pancakes he came up to me and said that he loves my pancakes. I laughed and asked him if I make the best pancakes ever. He shrugged his shoulders and very politely said " I don't know. They are just pancakes but yours are colorful and that's what makes them so good." I couldn't help but laugh when he walked away. My pancakes may not be anything special in regards to taste but I win hands down when it comes to appearance.  

My Tied Dyed Pancakes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Our pancakes come in a variety of colors as well, but not all together. We will try your way tomorrow morning and there are kids spending the night tonight. :) ~Kelly