Monday, November 7, 2011

Teen Parents

My daughter informed me this mornig that one of her classmates posted a picture of her positive pregnancy test result. This girl is only one year older than my daughter. When and where I grew up teen pregnancy was unheard of. It was just numbers that the health teacher told us about. It wasn't real. Now not only am I hit with the fact that it is real I am hit with the fact that it happens to children my daughters age. My daughter is only thirteen...her friend is fourteen. Her friend posted on her facebook page how happy she was and how much in love she is with this boy. This girl is just a baby herself. How can her parents even look at themselves in the mirror every morning knowing that their little girl is pregnant? How can this little girl be a good parent if she isn't even old enough to drive her baby to its doctor appointments? How can things like this happen? Are children never taught right from wrong? Do parents not communicate with their children? Is there trust issues? Do the children not trust their parents enough to talk to them? Do parents not supervise their children? I cannot believe things like this really happen. It feels like a dream. I am hoping that my daughter is going to come home from school and tell me how this was some kind of sick joke but I have a feeling this is not going to be the case.

No comments: